.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Petition for Withdrawal of Miers

I'd encourage my fellow JAS members (and readers of this fine blog) to add their name to this petition put out by David Frum of National Review asking the President to withdraw the Miers nomination. I added my name this morning (hat tip: Confirm Them).I don't hold out much hope for such an action by a man who has proven to have the level of loyalty that the President has in the past, but every little bit helps, especially coming from a publication with the conservative credentials of NR.

I'm still very frustrated by this nomination. I was very active in the 2004 campaign and held a position on the Bush/Cheney 2004 Minnesota State Steering Committee. One of the positions I put forth toward potential volunteers that I was trying to recruit was the importance of the judiciary. I have already been confronted by a few of those who I did end up recruiting asking me to explain this nomination. Words fail me.

I don't expect the President to be perfect, and as we know, everyone makes mistakes. In my opinion, this is a rather large one, but one that can be easily corrected. Of course, there will be fallout, but I believe it will be limited in scope and quickly supplanted by news of the next nominee, assuming that the next nominee is more suitable.

Ms. Miers, I implore you to do the right thing and voluntarily withdraw. Mr. President, I implore you to accept her withdrawal and choose a qualified candidate with impeccable conservative judgment. The future of the nation for at least a generation is at stake. You've shown us that you are more than capable of rising to challenges - please rise to this one and make us proud.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking to a guy at the gas station the other day who had seen my dubya sticker. He told me he voted for Bush but wasn't thrilled now. I told him that God had put him in this position for just this reason. Two nominations. Now either Bush dropped the ball, or he'd doing something, maybe even unwittingly, that is the will of God. I don't know. Faith is difficult.

8:57 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

Yes, and perhaps God put me in the position to make snarky comments about Miers for a reason, like, perhaps to be one little drop in a big enough flood to drown her nomination. That's the problem with this will of God stuff.

11:00 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Festivus, I can't seem to locate the NRO petition. Is it in a top-secret position on their website? Do post the direct URL. I'd like to email it to a few thousand of my closest friends.

8:12 AM, October 16, 2005  
Blogger festivus said...

My apologies. My original post contained that direct link, but blogspot hiccuped and I had to do a 'recover' to get my post. Clearly, I didn't proofread the recovery before reposting (largely because my lovely wife was beseeching me to get off the laptop, seeing that we're on a weekend jaunt). I've corrected the post and added the direct link.

8:35 AM, October 16, 2005  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

Although I am dissappointed in some of the criticism, I am still hoping that Miers withdraws.

10:49 PM, October 16, 2005  

Post a Comment