.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Biden: Iraqi Democracy 'Not in my lifetime'

On last Sunday's "Meet the Press", Sen. Joseph Biden had this gem:

There's not going to be a democracy like the president has talked about, nor was there ever going be one in my lifetime, in my view there. - MSNBC Transcript

Now, I'll grant that Biden's concept of President Bush's view of democracy in Iraq might be different than mine, and might perhaps explain his comment. However, this statement is quite similar to others coming from the left that discount the possibility that democracy can emerge in a country such as Iraq. They seem to believe that Arabs are incapable of democratic government. Why they are allowed to get away with this type of racism and bigotry astonishes me.