.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Strangers on my flight

Here's the link to the Frank Sinatra parody that some of us talked about at the debate last night.

Blogger festivus said...

You're quick, my friend. Beat me by 7 minutes.

11:03 PM, December 13, 2006  
Blogger Craig Westover said...

Early Bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.

2:02 PM, December 14, 2006  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

And Festivus enjoyed plenty of cheese Wed night. Not that I was counting.

6:38 AM, December 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, do we ever publish the winner of these debates, and which "side" was victorious?

J. Ewing

7:07 PM, December 16, 2006  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

The right prevailed, and the resolution failed spectacularly.

9:52 PM, December 16, 2006  
Blogger festivus said...

Rather than ask for publication of the results, why not attend the debate in person and participate. It's open to all as long as those in attendance are willing to abide by our sartorial standards.

You can choose to speak if you wish, but all who attend the debate may vote on the resolution.

10:35 AM, December 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such was my intention, should I come to believe that the debate is rational and the outcome useful. I am concerned about your sartorial standards, however. I tend toward the functional, rather than decorative.

J. Ewing

12:57 PM, December 18, 2006  
Blogger festivus said...

Let me briefly address each of your points.

The debate is rational to the extent that the debaters are rational. In my time in the Society, I have generally found that most of those who choose to speak make good points. Not all, but most.

I think the usefulness of the outcome lies squarely in the eye of the beholder. I almost always find that I find new ways of looking at an issue, regardless of my agreement with each individual speaker.

As for our sartorial standards: We're a conservative debating organization, and thus tradition and precedence is important, and I would say that they add greatly to the entire experience. I urge you to attend so you can witness and personally judge if it is functionality or decorum which reigns supreme.

Please note that (quoting from our whip sheets) "While there is no dress code for attendance, gentlemen who wish to speak must wear a tie; ladies should adhere to a similar sartorial standard"

2:23 PM, December 18, 2006  

Post a Comment