.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Friday, October 07, 2005

Not Another Dime

I am working from home this afternoon and just got a call from the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which has been trying to get a hold of me for the last several days. I am on their mailing list because I have given to them in the past. (They asked for $75.) I was polite, but told the caller that the best thing I could do at this point was let them know I am giving them nothing due to this whole Miers business and hope they would push this message up the line. The caller actually engaged in polite argument rather than simply hang up. I had the sense he has been hearing this quite a bit this week. In the discussion, I argued that the most important reason to elect Republican Senators is judges and frankly, I see no reason why Bush would have any more trouble getting a nominee like Miers in if the Senate were 45-55 instead of 55-45. When it comes to this nomination, the marginal value of Republican senators is zero. I did not give in the past for this outcome. I said if Miers gets shot down by Republican Senators, I would happily send in at least $200.

Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

I agree. However, we don't know what the White House knows about doing the COnstitutional Option. Perhaps Frist told Bush that the votes would not be there for the Constitutional option. If this were the case, Miers would be a good pick because none of the other judges would make it.

Who knows...

3:45 PM, October 07, 2005  

Post a Comment