.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Friday, October 07, 2005

Elitist or Populist?

Brit Hume recently charged that there was a "whiff" of elitism in the conservative response to the Helen Miers' nomination to SCOTUS. Fred Barnes suggested even "snobbery." I agree with them.

But, I have a question to determine whether you are an enlightened populist or snobby elitist or is it elitist snob? (I will count the votes if my elitist friends wish to vote on line to determine this issue once and for all.)

The question is should the nine Supreme Court Justice be elected by popular vote on a regional basis?

If you answer yes, you are a populist.

If you answer no, stop complaining about the Miers' nomination. You are an elitist. To complain about a system without working to fix it is a cardinal sin of elitism.

Elitist, I will pray for you.

Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

Is it an American virtue that an obviously elitest group such as the John Adams Society tries its best not to be elitest?

Where are the powdered wigs....

12:39 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

I am an elitist. And Miers is unsatisfactory. I had an inkling W would do this to us. I demand a recount.

6:18 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger festivus said...

I would vote 'NO'. While I don't generally consider myself an 'elitist [snob]', I plead guilty on this item and will welcome your prayers, SSC.

Ms. Miers may indeed be qualified, but had I been the one choosing, I would have chosen differently. I'd also like to point out that I think Ms. Miers would have a hard time winning this seat in an election by the populace.

8:28 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

This elitism charge is getting tired. Instead of refuting it, I will simply up the ante.

SSC, why not get rid of Congress as currently instituted and simply make every registered voter a congressman, with Congress always in session and bills voted on over the internet. No committees, just every voter can propose a bill and any bill that gets a majority vote becomes law. As for the courts, get rid of them too. If you have a dispute, bring it the people (the new Congress).

If you don't like this, you are an elitist.

9:37 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

See Rousseau for additional arguments on direct democracy.

10:10 AM, October 07, 2005  

Post a Comment