.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Us vs. Gore

Debra Saunders discusses Gore in a delightful article here.

I always thought I wasted a lot of energy in my house. We have TVs running all the time, computers left on all day, space heaters in the basement and lights that don't seem to get turned off. It's a constant battle. We use about 2000 Kwh per month or 25,000 Kwh a year for a 4400 sq foot house (including the basement). Gore uses 220,000 Kwh a year for a 12,000 square foot house - or 9 times the energy usage for less than three times the space.

Gore must have a lot of TVs.

Feel free to post your own Kwh usage here and compare it to Uncle Al.

Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Interesting challenge. In my last electric billing period, my 2k sq ft house slurped up 320.9 kwh. Of course, I have gas heat, am otherwise cheap, and not a television viewer, though my computer is on 15 hrs/day. In the peak summer months, I may use 50% again the wattage, but likely don't exceed 5000 kwh per year.

I'm not particularly trying to be green, but Gore's not looking any better.

1:46 PM, March 06, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Me? ME? What did I do? The only reason I don't leave TVs blaring and lights on all over is to save my own cash, not the earth.

9:00 AM, March 08, 2007  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

My house used 28,230 kwh's last year, about the same as saurus, for about a 4200 sq ft house, including basement.
Like saurus, about 1/9th of Al's usage in just that one house. (I think he has three).

Possibly Al has electric heat, but that shouldn't make that much difference.

4:11 PM, March 09, 2007  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

Nope, can't be that he uses electricity for stuff we use gas for. Al's gas bill is over $1000 per month as well.

4:14 PM, March 09, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

How do you guys use so much more electricity than I do? Half the house shouldn't buy me much more than half the electric bill, all else being equal. Per sq ft, you're using over twice the electricity. Does the television really suck up that much juice?

4:58 PM, March 09, 2007  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

Scribbler,

Check your bill again. At 5000 kwh per year, you are using less than half the national average of 10,600. Do you have a fridge? (The big users of electricity are lights, fridges and freezers, electric heat, air conditioning and electric clothes dryers. We have some electric heat and all of these others.)

8:21 PM, March 10, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Okay, it was 423 kWh for 29 days, 5,324 per year, or around 6,000 if I use 50% more in summer months. Lights are 1/2 fluorescents; newer, efficient fridge; drier, water heater and heat all gas. So it may not just be the televisions. Still doesn't explain Al Gore.

10:25 PM, March 10, 2007  

Post a Comment