.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Monday, October 30, 2006

Voting Dilemma

What to do? Pawlenty committed the mortal sin of signing socialized stadia into law, forever forfeiting my vote. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to vote for Hatch. And Hutchinson is just as much a tax-and-spender as his alternatives, proposing outright an increase in the gas tax.

Yes, I hear your teeth grinding, S'?aurus and friends, and I realize that not voting for Pawlenty will elect Hatch, assuming others feel as I do. Pawlenty deserves defeat for an offense as egregious as the stadium. It is unfortunate that the taxpayers will have to suffer, but they are suffering already. Another Pawlenty administration would bring us socialized college tuition, more money spent on worthless choo-choo transit, and whatever other toys look fun over four years.

My opposition to Pawlenty in 2002 was justified. As the bumper sticker says, "Don't blame me; I went 12 ballots for Sullivan." Back then my opposition was based on Pawlenty's support of the light rail line. His supporters said, "Aw, he didn't want to do that. He just had to work with the governor. It won't happen again." But people don't change, and upon election Pawlenty got straight to work on expanding government.

The only opportunity we now have to scale back government, since the GOP put on a soviet-style charade of an endorsing convention and Jeffers lost the primary, is to scramble the best candidates for the 2008 legislative election, assuming the voting public appropriately punishes pro-stadium legislators next week. And much will hinge on the governor'?s race. If Pawlenty prevails, elected officials will be sent the message that it'?s okay to vote for big stadia, for big transit, for big pork and for big taxation. If Pawlenty is overthrown, we can only hope the opposite message will be received.

In the meantime, is there a suggestion for a worthy write-in candidate?

Blogger festivus said...

I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Pawlenty. The stadium thing ensured that I would donate no money to his campaign. In fact, I told the last few callers from his campaign that I'd love to donate $1,000, but that I thought that I should instead save that money to pay the additional stadium sales tax that our good Governor had inflicted on us.

Scrib, we've talked much about your choice, so I don't actually think I'll convince you, but I do hope that when you walk into the booth and realize what a Gov. Hatch would do to this state, you'll change your mind.

9:20 AM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger ReTorte said...

Having never enjoyed a glass of fine wine, or other adult beverage of choice, though have tipped the bottle for many others to indulge, this year's gubernatorial election might push me ever closer to the knuckle glass method of voting. A Liberal, a guy who is a Liberal in sheep's clothing, or someone in denial just how Liberal they are whom I fear becoming an enabler. Rehab I say!

At least I have the Honorable Society member, Senator LeClair, to make one vote easy. I wonder what he's doing in 2008???

12:48 PM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

Remember, we live in what is currently a blue state (that was proven in 2004) Voting against Pawlenty to punish the republicans in this state could actually be close to killing yourself.

Primaries are the times for squabbling.

2:00 PM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

I was on a field trip with my kid on Friday and I overheard two teachers complaining about building the stadium. They thought it was a complete waste of money and that the money should have been spent instead on additional health care subsidies....

I thought to myself.... Thank god for the stadium!

2:02 PM, October 30, 2006  

Post a Comment