.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Public School Grammar

Today, my oldest son brought home a flyer from school written by his teacher. Included in this flyer was the sentence
"In social studies we have been learning about our countries [sic] heroes and citizenship."

Now, we're all human and make mistakes, but this is not the first time this teacher has had problems with basic grammar (almost spelled that grammer, but caught myself). This is perhaps the 3rd or 4th time that my wife and I have seen something like this, and we don't read the material with the intent of catching mistakes. I've also heard her make other grammatical errors when speaking to a group of parents.

Should I laugh with her, at her, or simply hang my head and cry?

Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

It would be more interesting to find out who the teacher thinks our countries (sic) heroes are?

4:00 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

I don't know about everyone else, but I make mistakes like this all the time when typing. I'm forever writing "there" when I mean "their", "its" when I mean "it's" and so forth. Usually, I go back and correct just after typing the word.

Part of this is reliance on spell checkers. The spell catcher won't catch "countries" vs. "countries" because both are correct on their own.

I guess I would really cry if she didn't understand that she made a mistake vs. understands and was just not careful enough.

4:09 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Festivus, I've said this before and I'll say it again: get your kids out of public school.

I don't agree with Pencil that this should be excused. We forgive each other in email and posts, but teachers should be held to a higher standard as we are entrusting our children's education to them. I might understand it, but not excuse it.

4:18 PM, March 21, 2006  

Post a Comment