.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Friday, November 04, 2005

My Little Lobbyist

I've heard things like this before, but this is my first personal experience with something of this kind. Yesterday, my son brought home a flyer from kindergarten proclaiming the following:

Things to do on Tuesday, November 8th

1. Get out and Vote "YES" for Wayzata Public Schools.

2. Come to the XXXXXXX PTA meeting at 9:30 a.m.

Be involved! Be informed! Be there!

Now, I am not positive that anything having to do with this flyer was at taxpayer expense, but I certainly have strong suspicions about it. Even if it wasn't printed at taxpayer expense, I'd like to know who stuffed it in the folder. If it was a volunteer, who called to get that volunteer and on whose time? And if none of the above was on the taxpayer's dime, I'd like to know what right they have to distribute lobbying material with other school material? Can I go over and distribute a notice about the next JAS debate and get the kids to deliver it to the parents? What about a flyer pushing certain school board candidates? Where does this stop?

I have to wonder if the notice about the PTA meeting places a veil of legitimacy on this piece and therefore allows it to be printed and distributed by the school system.

I have three big problems with this flyer:
  1. Assuming that some portion of the printing and distribution was paid for by the school, this kind of expense should be illegal.
  2. I do not approve of my child being a distribution medium for tax-raising propaganda.
  3. Distribution of this flyer may lead to additional votes and passage of this new tax.
At this point, I'm still deciding what to do about this. I suspect that at least two of my fellow bloggers will use this opportunity to once again lobby me to move my children to private school, but I'd be interested in thoughts from the rest of you.

Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Contact the Taxpayer's League. I'm not sure if they still have the Education arm, but they may be interested. www.taxpayersleague.org

8:17 AM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

I would talk to both the teacher and the principal. Public school teachers are in such a bubble, never actually talking to anyone who disagrees with them, that the teacher might have actually thought there was nothing at all controversial. Just bringing this up to her might cause her to see this. (Kindergarten teachers tend to have hearts of pure gold, but generally aren't reading astrophysics journals in their spare time.)

9:35 AM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Oh, and move your kid to a private school. The one my son attends is VERY reasonably priced, but over here in the Excelsior area.

But this is just a band-aid to hide the ugly truth. You will still have to pay the increased property taxes voted in on your behalf by the lemmings who do send their kids to the public school.

These property tax referendums should only be offered in ON-year elections, in my less-than-humble opinion.

Hell, I'll take it further and say that public school is in violation of just about all of the First Amendment if you work hard enough at it. Separation of School and State!

10:46 AM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger festivus said...

The Taxpayer's League is on the case. I'll post an update when I hear more.

3:04 PM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Fear no more, good citizens. Hurrah! The beast shall be slain!

3:09 PM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

A JAS member wanted me to post this:

Here is a link to a great form letter for situations like this, developed by the Calif. taxpayers league, although it is citing California law.

http://www.hjta.org/2002-09-warningletter.htm

As suggested above the MN Taxpayers League may be able to identify the specific MN law being violated

8:30 AM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment