.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Air Marshall Makes a Point

Air Marshall makes another brief and profound point in his comment on "Why I Know I am a Populist." Of course, populists do not make the "elitist" grade -- nor should they want to.

But, there are other tests for elitism. For example, one could guage their populism by their response to populist lyrics. Earlier, I posted the lyrics of the "Red Neck Yacht Club." Here are the lyrics of the best seller "Boondocks."


Artist: CountrySong: Little Big Town - Boondocks
Album: Top Country Songs
[Buy "Top Country Songs" CD]

{Chorus}:
I feel no shame
I'm proud of where I came from
I was born and raised in the boondocks

One thing I know
No matter where I go
I keep my heart and soul in the boondocks
And I can feel
That muddy water running through my veins
And I can hear that lullaby of a midnight train
It sings to me and it sounds familiar

{Chorus}

And I can taste
That honeysuckle and it's still so sweet
When it grows wild
On the banks down at old camp creek
Yeah, and it calls to me like a warm wind blowing

{Chorus}

It's where I learned about living
It's where I learned about love
It's where I learned about working hard
And having a little was just enough
It's where I learned about Jesus
And knowing where I stand
You can take it or leave it, this is me
This is who I am
Give me a tin roof
A front porch and a gravel road
And that's home to me
It feels like home to me

{Chorus}

I keep my heart and soul in the boondocks
You get a line, I'll get a pole
We'll go fishing in the crawfish hole
Five-card poker on a Saturday night
Church on Sunday morning{2x}

You get a line, I'll get a pole
We'll go fishing in the crawfish hole
(Down in the boondocks)
Five-card poker on a Saturday night
Church on Sunday morning
Say a little prayer for me

Of course, there are many ways to discern one's affiliation with the common man -- this is one of them.

Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

What constitutes populist lyrics to test our reaction to them? The number one download on iTunes is "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas. These lyrics include

What you gon’ do with all that junk?
All that junk inside that trunk?
I’ma get, get, get, get you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
What you gon’ do with all that ass?
All that ass inside them jeans?
I’ma make, make, make, make you scream
Make you scream, make you scream.
What you gon do with all that junk?
All that junk inside that trunk?
I’ma get, get, get, get you drunk,
Get you love drunk off this hump.
What you gon’ do wit all that breast?
All that breast inside that shirt?
I’ma make, make, make, make you work
Make you work, work, make you work.

This reflects the tastes of the "common man" as much as country music.

9:10 PM, November 08, 2005  

Post a Comment