.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Why I Know I Am A Populist

I am now freed of the exclusivity requirements for my submitted, but unpublished commentary. So, I now publish it for the first time here:

Why I Know I am a Populist

We live in an environment saturated with elitism. In these modern times, it is more and more difficult to acquire habits to reject this foul air that we breathe. So, it is with great joy that I report the following true story about myself.

I usually have a cup of black coffee in the morning -- occasionaly from Starbucks. About two weeks ago, I noticed that Starbucks was putting on my paper coffee cup provocative political statements under the title, "The Way I See It." Predictably, many of these statements were liberal. I was annoyed that the coffee I drank was littered with pro-tax, pro-government and pro-gay polemics. I even considered boycotting Starbucks -- but I thought the matter was too trivial to go that far. That was until I saw the elitist polemics of Jonah Goldberg, Editor-at-Large of National Review Online, on my Starbucks coffee cup -- I was infuriated. I threw down my cup. I resolved that I will never buy from Starbucks again.

Mr. Goldberg stated on my coffee cup:

Everywhere, unthinking mobs of “independent thinkers” wield tired cliches like cudgels, pummeling those who dare question "enlightened" dogma. If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn't have guns and slaves may never have been freed. If it's better that 10 guilty men go free to spare one innocent, why not free 100 or 1,000,000?

Cliches begin arguments they don't settle them.Mr. Goldberg's statement is 100 percent elitist cow manure. First, Mr. Goldberg erroneously suggests that only "unthinking mobs" believe in dogmas. G.K. Chesterton once wrote, “There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don't know it.” Apparently, Mr. Goldberg is one of those who has accepted a dogma at National Review, but doesn’t know it.

Second, “unthinking mobs” are not the cause of, but rather the check on "enlightened dogma." It is the people through popular elections who cool the heels of hot-headed, “enlightened” reformers. The people reflexively respond to these pie-in-the-sky politicians, “Why reform? Things are bad enough already.”

Third, cliches don't begin or settle arguments -- they prevent them. Normal people are apolitical. They understand that most political questions are not worth debating. Cliches are handy in that way. A well-placed cliche ends political debate or ends a conversation that may lead to a political debate. Why argue pointlessly? Particularly, when you can use a cliché to get out of the situation gracefully.

I am appalled at Goldberg’s venom towards the “unthinking mobs” and “cliches.” I took action on the issue immediately – so should you.

This morning, my two youngest girls and I were the first to rise from bed. I told them the "early bird catches the worm." But, I also added these words of advice, "Don't let anyone tell you that the phrase 'the early bird catches the worm' is a worthless cliché produced by an 'enlightened' dogma." It isn't. It's just common sense -- which is apparently uncommon at National Review Online.