.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Sunday, March 06, 2005

The World is Not as Static as we think.

Re: SSC and Publius.

In 1984, I took a course in college on Soviet Economics from a Russian émigré economics professor named Vladimir Treml.. The basic thrust of the course was that the Soviet Union was in trouble. The idea that they could spend whatever was necessary to compete with us and equip their military was false. I, of course, thought he was nuts. If you had asked me to bet $100 that the Soviet Union would be around in 2025 more or less in its 1984 form, I would have taken the bet. In fact, I would have given much better than 50/50 odds.

My point? Some people really do know what’s going on, while the rest of think they’re nuts. Everyone has been scoffing at Wolfowitz (and Bush). Now history is making me a believer in them, just as it did with Treml.