.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Monday, May 14, 2007

Spam

I just received the below post on one of my rarely used email accounts. It's amazing that Kumarudeen was able to find me. Incredible! I already have some other accounts in motion, so I thought I would post this one here in case anyone is interested - but keep it close to the vest. It's time to give up your day job folks! Good Luck.


Hello friend,

I am contacting you from Africa. My name is Kumarudeen Yusuf. I work with the African Development bank group, Nigeria main branch, as foreign operations manager. Please do not get upset as to how I got your contact. I got your email contact from the Internet. Isincerely advise that you calm down to read belowproposal thoroughly and thereafter decide if we can dothe business together. It is no setup or one of thesehoaxes from Africa. This is a real deal and I meanevery word I speak here.

A UK citizen, Mr. Norman Anderson (from Aberdeen) hasbeen a customer of my bank since 1988. He opened adomiciliary account with us in June 1988. The saidbank account, which is at the moment in dormant, is inUK pounds sterling and has credit balance of 19.3Mpounds. Last transaction carried on the account datesback to September 15, 1999. I have been the accountowner¢s confidant and account officer until above datewhen he was last seen in the bank. And since this timeMr. Anderson has not been to the bank nor sent incheque for clearing. This became a source of worry tome and prompted my personal investigation as towhereabouts and business activity of this customer.Result of my investigation revealed that he was intooil bunkering and operated within West and CentralAfrica sub-regions. Further investigation proved thathe was one of the victims of November 1999 raid ofillegal oil bunkering merchants in Malabo Island ofEquatorial Guinea. However, I continued myinvestigation and further discovered that a UKtelephone number mentioned in our bank informationform, which he filled when the said bank account wasestablished, belong to a hotel in London. This is aclear indication that he probably has fed my bank withfalse information to protect his illegal oil deals. Ihave not disclosed these findings to anyone elseexcept this message to you.

After a careful study of the account file andavailable data to me, I have packaged a good deal asfollows; and will wish to carry it out with you.My Dear Friend, the deal here is that the money inthis account will be approved and remitted to anyforeigner who shows up as relation to Mr Andersonprovided such person has correct information to theaccount. I have such needed information and will handit over to you as soon as we commence the transaction.I will source all necessary documents and forward themto you for direct submission to the bank. With myposition as the foreign operations manager we willquietly remove this money from the bank withouthitches. I don¢t have any problem in regularizing allnecessary documents and transferring the creditbalance of the said account to your nominated bankaccount in overseas, but the problem is trust. I havespent months in trying to get an overseas reliablecontact. It is worthy to note that people areunreliable these days and even derive joy in tellinglies. On this ground I request your unreserved butsincere cooperation devoid of greed in carrying outthis transaction so that no one amongst both of usshall defraud each other at the end. I am prepared tosplit at 60%---40% for you, provided that mine (60%)will be intact at the end.reply me on my private email, (kumaru_17@yahoo.co.in) Awaits for your expected co-operation.

Best regards,Kumarudeen

Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Yeah, I had the deal all set up with him, then he decided he couldn't trust me. But the whole time he was cutting a deal with you. Two-timing bastard.

7:38 AM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

There must be a lot of really dumb people in this country that makes it worthwhile for these guys to send such emails.

10:09 AM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

Saurus,

No, no, no. You don't need a lot of dumb people. Just a few.

It's like the classic method for getting women to sleep with you. (I've seen this in action. I haven't done it myself). You just keep going to woman after woman in a bar and come right out after 30 seconds and ask if she wants to go home with you right now. It doesn't work for the vast, vast majority of women approached. Most simply say no. Some get really angry. But the guy simply moves on within a minute to the next one. And it only takes one to say yes.

Yes, yes, the guy who does this is a pig. But it does seem to work.

10:18 AM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

I am not sure if the women wanting to sleep around is a valid comparison. There may be a significant pool of women out there hoping for someone to ask them for a one night stand. Therefore, the success rate with the one night stand question may be much higher. In contrast, how many people are out hoping to be scammed by a Nigerian crook? It's shocking that there are any at all...

Maybe I have a naive understanding of the useful idiots in our society. Do you recommend a book?

10:49 AM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

True the comparison isn't perfect. No one is looking to get scammed. My only point was that even if only one in a million people fall for this, it's pretty easy to send a million emails and you only need one.

What book would I recommend on useful idiots? How about "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream" by
by Barack Obama?

1:02 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

Excellent response Pencil. I was looking for some high quality wit with that one.

2:48 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

S'aurus was asking for useful idiots. You can find some of those on FoxNews before and following tonight's debate. Ron Paul's gonna rock the house! (I forgot to spam S'aurus today.)

4:22 PM, May 15, 2007  

Post a Comment