.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Holy Hip Hop Batman!

The Strib ran a story today on Hip Hop music in Christian churches. The article took a line similar to one that I drew in my speech in December's debate on Rock-n-Roll. A good place to start with analyzing music objectively is sacred music -- music worthy for worshiping God. After that, one can discuss music to work to, play to, dance to, sleep to, etc. But, start with Sacred Music -- then when one considers other forms there is something to refer back to.

Dahlberg did not give a speech -- but told me later his theory of aesthetics. Modern aesthetics looks for complexity, unity and vivaciousness. Conservative aesthetics agree with the first two -- but are naturally oppossed to the third. I think he's got a point -- but I'm not sure I know what it is.

So, in that respect, I am opposed. I will stick to my pragmatic, consider Sacred Music approach first approach and then consider other forms in relation to Sacred Music -- not only for me but for my children.