.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Doctor’s office magazines

I was at urgent care for a yet to be diagnosed ailment yesterday for 90 minutes. The magazine choices were essentially, House Beautiful, Time, and People. Having not looked at any of these for at several years, I read them all.

Thing I already knew.
House Beautiful’s sole purpose on this earth is to make you feel crappy about your own house. (Actually, I also once heard it referred as a “gay mag.” Probably correct.)

Thing I learned.
It is much better to have People on a deserted island than Time.
I had forgotten how insipid Time really is. Now, of course, People is insipid too. But,

  1. People doesn’t pretent not to be insipid.
  2. Some of the actress model types I had never heard of (and quite a few I had heard of) are very attractive. Imagine that.
But back to Time. I read one issue (I think) cover to cover. The cover was on twentysomethings who won’t become adults. I swear these articles are written using computer templates. They are all the same, article to article, issue to issue.

Paragraph 1: Personal interest story setting up hypothesis. (In this case, twentysomethings won’t grow up.)

Paragraph 2: Some obscure academic to put this in more global terms.

Paragraph 3: Is this good or bad? Another obscure academic to say’s its bad.

Paragraph 4: Another obscure academic to disagree.

Blah, blah, blah

Conclusion: One thing is for sure, this new trend is here to stay!
Give me People anytime!

Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

Its probably true that the article on "twenty somethings" not wanting to become adults was first written in babylonian times. Nevertheless cliche always makes for good entertainment if done well.

9:44 PM, February 27, 2005  

Post a Comment