.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Monday, January 29, 2007

Happy Milton Friedman Day


Today, January 29, is Milton Friedman Day. (Hat tip to the Taxpayer's League for bringing this to my attention.) Surely Dr. Friedman was at least as important to the American well-being as was MLK. But people don't stop working on Friedman Day. Au contraire: we celebrate by working harder and producing more.

Tonight PBS will be airing The Power of Choice: The Life and Ideas of Milton Friedman, a production of Free To Choose Media. I suggest we all watch it together (in spirit, of course). If you cannot watch at 9 p.m. CST, or have some deep-rooted aversion to television as I do, Free To Choose is streaming the documentary today at www.freetochoosemedia.org.

For additional reflection, the Economist is hosting comments from economists and others on Friedman, his life, and his work.

I trust you all will celebrate as I will, with sincerity and reverence.

Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

Was it on? I could not find it. The jerks at PBS have swindled us. It must have been their so called "fairness doctrine."

8:20 AM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

I didn't see it either. Channel 2 is PBS, right? Surely they saturated their programming with MLK on that day. Commies.

Remind me why the GOP insists on funding PBS? On Milton Friedman day this was an excellent example of why the market must be free and entirely extricated from government. The pinkos can pay for their own propaganda, and we should pay for ours.

8:33 AM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

It wasn't HD. It just wasn't on. I am with scribbler on this one (despite her support for Ron Paul).

1:22 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Now who is more likely to throw money at the state's Propaganda Broadcast Service, the champion of government-sponsored-and-regulated speech, John McCain, or the free-marketeer, Ron Paul?

2:22 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

I saw that jawbreaker in your mouth, A.M. I don't know if R.P. is running for POTUS. I and others wish he would. King Oliver says good things about Tancredo. I may go there in absence of someone better. Maybe. I need to read up on him more. I think a lot is going to change, including positions on the war, in the next year.

5:51 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

I should add, I've heard Romney interviewed a couple of times on talk radio, and he is entirely unacceptable. Phpftht!

7:47 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger festivus said...

Tancredo is perfectly qualified except for one minor item - he's a nut. I've heard him speak, and he's quite good on his signature issue of immigration, but all he'd be is a lightning rod. I respect people who speak their mind, but in his case, I'm not sure he has the good sense to keep certain thoughts to himself.

That said, the acceptable field is somewhat sparse right now. Oh to be a Democrat and have such a wide variety of lefty crazies to choose from.

8:17 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Yes, the GOP is [pinching my nasals] too refined to take on illegal immigrants. [Releasing nasals] Nope, that would be too smart for the GOP, despite the fact that the average Joe is becoming more and more irate over "undocumented citizens" perpetrating crimes and taking away work opportunities and quality of life. From union workers to legitimately naturalized citizens, boy, we wouldn't deign to accept those votes. Because we have [pinched nostrils again] principles, you know, dear boys, pedigrees. No, no, a lightening rod just wouldn't be, ahem, fashionable. It's so HAHRD to find good help.

It's hard to find good people in any respect. Deal with it, Jeeves.

8:57 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger festivus said...

Ah, Ms. Stebbing, perhaps you read too much into my comment on Senor Tancredo. Let me put it more succinctly - in his case, it's not the message, it's the messenger.

9:00 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Oh, Festivus, live up to your name and let me have some fun with it. You must admit, I had the Jeeves accent down perfectly. It IS hahrd to find good people these days, for help, as candidates, or as friends (present company excepted).

Admittedly, I don't know enough about Tancredo. If the GOP pushes forth another DoleBushMush candidate via the likes of Romney, they should be prepared to accept a fate similar to that of 2006.

An IQ test should be administered by pollsters, and I hereby call for a minimum IQ requirement at the voting booth. Otherwise, I'm off to the space station I just purchase-optioned (J/K).

9:11 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

Rudy is pretty good on the immigration thing and he is a genuine national hero. Not for 9/11, but for showing that conservative policies can work in our biggest city, leaving no excuses for the mayors of other cities.

10:23 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger festivus said...

Yes, Steb, the accent is just diiiivine.

Rudy doesn't bother me as much as he should, and probably for the very reasons that Pencil states. I don't know where he's at on taxes.

I'm thinking that one reason I prefer him to McCain, of the two generally acknowledged frontrunners, is that I have a pretty good idea what Guiliani thinks. I have absolutely no idea what McCain thinks, and what I do know, I don't like, especially the McCain-Feingold bill.

10:44 PM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

What about Newt. He may run too.

12:51 AM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Newt has a lot of baggage. My only remaining hope is that Guiliani-Romney-McCain split the lefty vote, and we can sneak in a conservative candidate while the kingmakers compete over who can move furthest to the left while still wearing a Republican moniker.

7:22 AM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger festivus said...

Newt is my choice. Baggage be damned - I know EXACTLY what he thinks, and I like most all of it (most since agreeing with a candidate on all issues is highly unlikely).

8:09 AM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Good point on the lack of spine to shut down the government. Newt is also a hound dog, I happen to know. There simply are no good candidates in the field. From the looks of it, I may have to play in the Libertarian ballpark next election.

9:51 AM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

FYI, Ron Paul did form an exploratory committee on Jan 11. So, for now, he's my guy.

10:15 AM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger festivus said...

I didn't say Newt was perfect. You have a better guy in mind who has a chance?

11:37 AM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Depends on what you mean by "has a chance." The kingmakers like to push forward their candidate, someone without ideas of his own, someone boring and "acceptable," likely not someone who will interest me.

I would like either Ron Paul or Chuck Hagel, a good looking enough guy. Now there are a couple of guys who don't mind thinking for themselves, something the party hates.

2:06 PM, January 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scribbler --

the Libertarian ballpark -- that isn't publicly-funded is it?

4:40 PM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Ho, ho, ho, Fishsticks.

7:43 PM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

A gun in every pot. Or is that, pot in every pot.

6:11 AM, February 01, 2007  

Post a Comment