.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

John Adams Blog

The blog of The Antient and Honourable John Adams Society, Minnesota's Conservative Debating Society www.johnadamssociety.org

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Anyone watch the Oscars?

I don't. I haven't watched them in years. Actually, I don't think I've ever watched them from start to finish like I might a football game. I see snippets either in passing if I happen to be watching TV or portions on other news shows days after. To me, they're boring, entirely too fawning and self-congratulatory, and rarely have any basis in reality.

I am somewhat tempted to watch more this year, as I think Jon Stewart is one of the wittiest guys out there. I don't agree with his politics, but I find him really entertaining. Were it not for the absolute political nature of the best picture nominees, I might actually consider spending some time watching. It will be interesting to find out how well he goes over with that crowd.

Does anyone here allocate any significant amount of time to the Oscars?



Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

Oh! I just LOVE the Oscars! Mostly, it's to see just how AWFUL some of the dresses are! I mean, REALLY! What ARE they thinking sometimes?!

And this year! I mean, COME ON! Capote! Heath Ledger! George FREAKIN Clooney! How can I NOT watch!

8:42 PM, March 05, 2006  
Blogger Harsh Pencil said...

Ok, serious now.

I didn't watch a minute of the Oscars, but I did see Crash (because it's out on DVD). Not a great movie, but a very good one. And the conservative criticism of it is way overblown. It has a million of the most un-PC lines I've ever heard in a movie, many of which are enormously funny. It has people talking about race without making speeches (except for a short one by Matt Dillon). The Matt Dillon character - a racist white cop - is actually shown rather sympathetically. For instance, he puts himself at great risk to save the life of a black person.

Good rental.

9:16 AM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger Scribbler de Stebbing said...

Is this the same thing as Academy Awards? How about the Globals? All the same deal? Assuming this parade of names I vaguely recognize was on television, I can safely say I was not in danger of visual contamination.

5:10 PM, March 06, 2006  

Post a Comment